Friday, July 16, 2010

MAT Week 2

Hello Followers!!

This week has been quite busy, but beneficial. I was lucky to only have three days of class this week, but not lucky to have five days worth of homework assignments! :-( For my English methods class, we are beginning to spend a lot of time on lesson plans. I'm so thankful to already have some great background experience in creating them from my undergraduate literacy strategies class that I'm not stressed out about them. We are also reading one of our textbooks "In The Middle". It's a very interesting text that gives great instructions on how to teach writing in the classroom.

As far as my multicultural issues class, I'm receiving a great review on learning characteristics of minority students. I think this class is very helpful and anyone that wants to have a career in education needs to take it. It teaches you how to drop the biases of races and learn from them. In order for any student to learn, you have to be open minded. This class is making me become more aware of my surroundings and giving me the opportunity to learn from and about other minorities.

With technology, everything is so far so good. I'm very happy that we're already experimenting with cover letters. This will save me a lot of time in future by already having a layout. This week's assignment is also making me be proactive and update my resume.

The highlight of this week would have to be the Middle Level Institute training! I'm BLESSED that I was able to attend. I attended a session that dealt with classroom management, effective instruction, and student motivation. The speaker, Mike McLeod, kept my attention the entire time. He made me very excited about the upcoming school year and my first year of teaching, as well. He taught the group the importance of implementing procedures, and meaning what you say and say what you mean. If you ever have the opportunity to hear him speak, PLEASE DO!! It's worth the time.

That's all for this week and have a great weekend,
Aterra

No comments:

Post a Comment